Alex Scott & Staff established 1886

It is not given to many firms, especially family businesses, to achieve the proud distinction of successfully completing over 130 years of trading. In an era of dramatic change and progress it’s nice to know that companies such as Alex Scott & Staff Pty Ltd have survived. We’re justly proud of our reputation for integrity, honesty and service to our clients, and for the fact that so many of these have become personal friends, with some families “on the books” for several generations.

Where it all started...

Alexander Scott, the man who laid the sound foundation of the firm that was to become a household name in rural Victoria – more especially throughout Gippsland and the Mornington Peninsula – was a hard-working, down-to-earth son of the soil. With this background he steered the company for fifty years, and then his son, Stewart Scott, took over the reins and guided it for a further 53 years through the company’s centenary in 1986. Stewart continued as Managing Director until his death in 1988. 103 years of continuous management by father and son. Continued on by our current Directors, Tom Gibson (4th Generation) and Mr Greg Price. It is a unique record of an unbroken family association.

A long association with Dandenong Markets

Of all the auctioneering firms, Alex Scott & Co. has by for the longest association with the Dandenong Market. It has seen it grow from a small country “Paddy’s Market” to a thriving major metropolitan stock centre, with strong competition. The firm has followed the market to four different locations, including the most recent move to the modern facilities of the Victorian Livestock Exchange at Pakenham. It is interesting to recall that 130 years ago when Scotts started, the total annual dues from the market were £112. Today that figure would be well into the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Dandenong
headquarters

Dandenong, because of its importance as a Market Centre, was the company’s headquarters until the livestock market closed in 1998. Its original office was located in Lonsdale St. on the north side of the Bridge Hotel. It served for 34 years. To cope with the growing business, the firm, in 1924 erected a brick office in Walker St., next door to the then “Dandenong Advertiser” office, on the west side. This in turn was outgrown and during the second World War years the two-storey E.S & A Bank premises at 297 Lonsdale St. was purchased. This building was sold in 1960 and the head office was then erected at 147 Lonsdale St., opposite the Dandenong Park.

Transport revolutionised the Livestock industry

Around 1933 the first motorised stock transport took over, picking up on farms and unloading direct into the market yards. Very soon motor stock transport completely revolutionised the livestock industry. This meant that nearly all monthly sales closed down, such as Tanti (Mornington), Loch, Poowong, Triholm, Bass, Cowes, Drouin, Yea, Dalyston and Lang Lang, with the advent of motorised transport taking over from drovers. It was now possible to send stock to the larger, well-established centres and be assured of greater competition for all stock yarded.